Saturday 18 December 2010

22nd Armoured Brigade Group Nov 41 - finished.

22nd Armoured Brigade Group for Operation Crusader,
Western Desert, November to December 1941
As a change from the Punic Wars stuff that I'm ploughing through (I'm currently finishing a batch of 176 28mm Gallic infantry) I'm doing the odd bit for my WWII collection. I've just finished the first of the four brigade groups for 7th Armoured Division. Scale is 1:5 ish. Here it is:

The whole group and its overall command stand.



22nd Armoured Brigade - comprising 2nd Royal Gloucestershire Hussars, 3rd County of London Yeomanry and 4th County of London Yeomanry.

11th Hussars.

B Company 1st Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps and a troop from 102nd AT Regiment.

C Battery 4th Royal Horse Artillery and 3 Battery 1st Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment.
All figures and models are FOW. All are painted in enamels and the liberal use of burnt umber acrylic ink.
All are based on 2mm MDF - frontages are 60mm. Command stands and FOO stands are circular. All are sand, grit and cat litter on PVA glue, ink washed and dry brushed with artists acrylic and household emulsion paint; grass tufts are Mininatur, spongy flock is Woodland Scenics products.

9 comments:

BigRedBat said...

Fabulous stuff! And such a lot of it, too. Can you remind me what rules you are planning to use?

Chevalier de la Terre said...

I'm constantly amazed at the size and quality of the armies you put out. Very impressive!

CdlT

JAMES ROACH said...

Hi BRB,

I'm currently ammending Piquet, Point of Attack.

The rules are fine as they are but, like a lot of WW2 rules, they are for the whole war. Consequently, I'm making them North Africa late 1941 to mid 42 specific, using the full scope of gunnery factors, etc., to bring out the subtle differences that are lost in 'all encompassing' WW2 rule sets (every gun between 37mm and 50mm will not be 'light'!).

Also, there are things, not uncommen in WW2 rule sets, with which I do not agree - such as artillery 'drift'. I'm removing everything I disagree with and adding bits of my own, that I think are better. It's a long job, but I'll be happy with the result, I'm sure.

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Very,very nice!

Cheers
Christopher

littlejohn said...

Fantastic pics! ...and your insights on 41-42 rules much appreciated

Guidowg said...

Magnificent collection and excellent paint work. Dont know how you mass produce in that quality, great stuff.

David Sullivan said...

Excellent work!

Hendrid said...

Wow! Truly impressed with a grand looking force. Certainly a change of pace from Punic and Italian wars but good to see.

greatwhitezulu said...

Beautiful!