Thursday 17 February 2011

Ager Sanguinis Goes Punic


Last night Peter J. and I played a small Punic Wars game. Primarily it was to see how Ager Sanguinis rules could be modified for the Punic Wars. To make life interesting I set up a scenario where the Romans had to come straight off the line of march and break through the Carthaginians in hilly and wooded terrain. Deployment was 'free' and both sides deployed the bulk of their forces on the same side of the table; with the game played long ways (giving only a 6 foot wide table to begin with), and limiting terrain, this led to everything piling up in a small area of ground - a slogging match.



As for the rules - we used the AS quick play sheet and made everything else up as we went along - they worked well for a first outing. Most troops, formations and weapons have now been classified and their position in the tables decided. I've got to say that Piquet's Field of Battle by Brent Oman (on which AS is largely based) is such a strong, mechanically sound rule set that tweaks are easily made to 'stick' without unbalancing the basic mechanisms.

7 comments:

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Every time I like at your tables I have to pop my jaw back into place from looking at the amount of wonderfully painted miniatures your able to pack on your table. Yes, I am jealous!

Cheers
Christopher

Sgt Steiner said...

Anger Sanguinis Punic !!

Will you be publishing this in future ?

Gorgeous figs & terrain as ever

Cheers

JAMES ROACH said...

Nope - I'll probably just post them into the files section of the Piquet Group. That is, if Brent O. has no objections of course.

Ron said...

Absolutely brilliant! As you probably know, there are a few different Ancients rules sets coming out shortly. Since I already have FOB and Ager Sanguinis, I need not bother myself with the purchase of said sets. Looking forward to seeing ASP James.

Sgt Steiner said...

Look forward to reading & trying them

Cheers

Hendrid said...

Very impressive as usual, well done. Very nice eye candy.

I liked the Ager Sanguinis rules especially the campaign info. Lots of ideas, I'll need to give them atry.

fireymonkeyboy said...

Lovely stuff. Terrain is fantastic, and love the dense figure formations.