Friday 26 December 2014

Can you see what it is yet? More solo Christmas


This is a game I've played quite a lot in the last twelve months. It always was one of my favourite battles to read about and, as a close run thing, has the makings of a superb war game. Zorndorf 1758: The bloodiest battle of the Seven Years War will be fought yet again before the year is out.

However, it is my belief that to make this game play like Zorndorf it must start with the first crucial mistake having already taken place. For the game to look like Zorndorf Kanitz's command must have already drifted out of its intended alignment. Here is a link to my thoughts on this subject:

http://olicanalad.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/operation-zorndorf-deployment-decisions.html

I have added two pieces of terrain to the set up. I have added the piece of wetland that juts out from the Hofe-Bruch behind the Russian lines, and I've added the outskirts of Quartschen behind the Russian right. This latter addition is because this sector of the field has never been used in any previous re-fight so it might as well have a landmark in it, really Quartschen should be just off table. 

Just for a change, I have set the table with the Russians deployed on the other (window) side of it - it means the pictures will be slightly different. As you can see, I can only set this battle up using the drop leaf table extension. It makes the table 15 feet long, but also makes it difficult to traverse - the gap between the table a the tall cabinets at the end of it is only 14".

Anyway, I'll leave you, for now, with the following shots of the set up. I've used the Osprey book "Zorndorf 1758", the Duffy books and Kronoskaf as sources.


The Russian line beyond the Galgen-Grund.

Malachowski's Hussars with Seydlitz (off table) behind and beyond the
Zabern-Grund. Manteuffel's infantry, advancing beyond the Fuchsberg, are
emerging from the artillery smoke (not pictured) and about to engage.
The Russian cavalry under Demiku stand in support of the Observation Corps
at the Langer-Grund


Between the Galgen-Grund and Zabern-Grund the Russians await
Manteuffel's attack. Kanitz has drifted to his right.

Kanitz, having drifted to the right, is no longer marching in direct support of
Manteuffel. Behind Kanitz, off table, are the Dragoons under Marschall.
Beyond them are Dohna's infantry and Schorlemers cavalry.

The end of Dohna's infantry and the cavalry under Schorlemer
refuse the Prussian right wing.

The Prussian line is a long thin one.

The Russian lines are far more populace.

Multiple lines ready to give support to each other will make this a nightmare for the Prussians

But what the Prussian army lacks in depth, they make up for in prettiness

I can't wait but, for now, I have to make with the vacuum cleaner in readiness for tomorrows household carnage. Tomorrow my wife and I are having just shy of a hundred people around for drinks and nibbles.

5 comments:

Epictetus said...

From your description of a game that others were fed up with I was convinced it was going to be Sidi Rezegh.

Gonsalvo said...

So the 7 Years War it is! :-)

A superb looking game, and a fine one to have as a set piece should any visitors care to take a tour of the War room.

One hundred people - egads! More than we had at our wedding by a considerable margin! Good luck there, James!

Steve J. said...

Impressive as always, but I think I'd put my back out trying to manouevre that lot;).

Der Alte Fritz said...

Have you considered scaling down the game a little bit to create a little more maneuvering space? For example, if you expand your ground scale to depict the ground between the Zabern Grund and the Stein Busch and use only the Prussian left wing and the Russian right wing would make for an interesting scenario.

Then you could do a second scenario with the Russian left and cavalry wings versus the Prussian refused right.

JAMES ROACH said...

I have considered that but, I'm not sure there was manoeuvre space.

My issues with doing it are:

1. The Russians, by all accounts, were crammed into the space, and the Prussians were only deploying with very small gaps between battalions.
2. My problem with Zorndorf isn't the width of the deployment, but the depth. But unless you have very long arms (LOL) this is often the case with 28mm battles - the centre of a 6 foot table is as far as I can reach.

The appeal of doing it in two halves, for me, would be the fact I could concentrate on just one bit of it and cut down on the playing time. Solo, this battle will probably take 7 or 8 hours to play. Oh, and I wouldn't have to use the drop leaf, so I could traverse the room more easily.

It is a thought though, and one I shall bare in mind.

Thanks DAF.

James