Sunday 24 January 2016

X-Wing 'jettisoned freight container', or something

Today I've made a prototype 'jettisoned freight container' for X-Wing. Of course, it could just as easily be something else, a weird looking communications satellite perhaps.

 It took about five minutes to make and a little longer to paint.
 It has plenty of inbuilt detail from all angles.
It is, of course, made from a couple of razor heads glued together back to back. I've added two thin pieces of plastic over the bit that is supposed to be good for the skin (pale green on this one) because it is actually quite rough, and a piece of 3/32 aluminium pipe along the top. I'll make another two; another red one and a blue one I think.

Whatever it is, I think it looks to be about the right scale, and whatever scenario it appears in is bound to be called "A Close Shave".

6 comments:

PatG said...

Looks like something out of Oolite/Elite. Great idea

James said...

Did you file down the cutting edges to smooth them out?

JAMES ROACH said...

I did worry about the blades when I started and thought about coating them with super glue before painting. I decided against it and went for a couple of heavy undercoats of dark red enamel paint. On top of that there are another three layers of enamel, a heavy coat of black, then a grey and light grey highlight especially at the edges. The effect has been to completely dull any sharpness. The feel has completely changed, though I might add a of layer of gloss then matt varnish at some point.

Neil Scott said...

It looks great

Anonymous said...

Brilliat idea, and it looks great!

JAMES ROACH said...

BTW.

"The effect has been to completely dull any sharpness. The feel has completely changed, though I might add a of layer of gloss then matt varnish at some point."

This one is now completely dry. There is no edge to feel unless you drag something hard against it, like a fingernail - hard Vs hard I guess - and even then you have to try to get a snag. In general use I would suggest it will not be a problem - certainly far less than making pikes out of pins! Scientists, I fear, will be nodding and talking about microns width (God bless 'em, Ha, Ha).